Working from 2D concept art into 3D 'Pong-game' project
Ofcourse the subject was more related to a aquarium and beautiful fishes. But instead, I envisioned this tank of fish.
Tiny, simple and compact. Using the basic ingredients of a tank.
While I had only a tank and fish in mind for this project. Working on this and during my daily corana walks, I go got different ideas. Like the term Squidron instead of Squadron.
Steurgon fish on border patroll, guarding the tank. Making it make a "squadron" composition.
Added air bubbles to enhance the underwater impression. Added tracks in the mud, using a quick sculpting session. And place my previous build Five-O-Pus model as squidron leader.
First I started with a gradient to get a soft transition in to the background. The background is black, no light emmision and bitmap. The I added Vonoroi as a texture for water highlights.
Using lamp spots to creat sun rays. Introducing volumetric rendering to Eevee. Kept it at low resolution, because this eats CPU resources.
This is more to enhance the underwater feeling than real physics. It's more like looking through stained glass.
Adding a school of goldfish. Which acts as a contrast for the tank color and shape (triangle Five-O-Pus, tank body). The gold fish trident combination acts also a triangle shape.
Using the spotlights to enhance parts of the image details, like the "Squidforce"logo and title.
Because of the low lighting conditions and volumetric render aspects, I increased Cycles samples to 512 with denoising on (NML). But that resulted in blurry background details.
Increasing to 1024 Cycles samples, without denoising, shows a lot of fireflies. I could use other Cycle options but to make this work in Cycles I need to fix a lot of issues. While Eevee gave me the a fine result. So I kept using Eevee. But even with Eevee I encounter slow render speeds and crashes.